Improving regional capacities in gene editing
A project that consolidates the regional capacities in gene edition for breeding of species of agricultural interest as a contribution to technological sovereignty, for aggregating value to production and productive development
Context of the story
Conventional genetic breeding has always been a process that requires a lot of time. The recent appearance of the gene edition (EG) is a significant leap in genetic modification technologies with a high impact on the increase in the sight variability. It allows modifications directed in the DNA sequence of specific genes to alter their expression (silence or over-expresses them), replace alleles and introduce transgenes into predetermined sites of the genome. It can reduce genetic breeding time and produces an advantage in the generation of improved animals and plants, due to their lower cost and greater accessibility. To fully take this possibility, it is necessary to generate and reinforce capacities in EG in the region.
A public-private initiative for a more level playing field with developed countries in gene edition
The implemented initiative
""Gene editing" makes it possible to modify the DNA sequences of specific genes to alter their expression, introduce favorable alleles or place transgenes at specific sites in the plant or animal genome, generating new variability, reducing breeding times with less cost and more accessibility. They would not even present special regulatory requirements according to the definition of GMOs of the Cartagena Protocol. The project will generate capacities that allow the creation of new genetics for key species. A platform for research and application of EG knowledge is created, which will consolidate the capacities of public institutions and companies from 7 countries. FONTAGRO, PROCISUR, producer organizations and private companies provide the financing.
The technological solution
The project creates an inter -institutional platform for research and application of gene edition knowledge (EG) that will consolidate the regional research and innovation capacities in species of agricultural interest.
Specifically, this project includes the implementation of technological pilots oriented to:
- Obtaining potato varieties with increased nutritional and industrial quality.
- The development of soybeans suitable for consumption by monogastric (pigs, birds, fish) through the decrease in anti-nutritional compounds in the grain.
-The generation of animals with modified characteristics to generate products and/or by -products of interest for livestock production
"CRISPR/CAS9 technology will have a very important impact on our daily lives ... medicine, agriculture, research or manufacturing" green "chemicals are some areas that will improve thanks to it ..."
- The project rescues the spirit of cooperation between countries and promoting public-private collaboration.
- Likewise, it contributes to (re) create the instances to stimulate technical integration throughout the chain, from those who dominate molecular engineering techniques (EG, in this case) to geneticists and phyto -and zoo- Improvers with their role lead
- Finally, it should be noted that the project seeks to solve problems of the region or each country.